Sunday, March 11, 2012

iPad Article Review


With Just One iPad, Teachers Improve Classroom Lessons
Summary and Reflection

I really enjoyed reading this article. Katie Neal from Wake Forest University documents how just one iPad can be of great value to your classroom.  I found this article to have loads of classroom applications. Teachers cannot afford to have iPads for every student. Yes, there are grants, and districts can purchase classroom sets, but this isn’t always the case. I really like how Neal focuses on making sure the reader understands the importance of teacher training. She talks about how many districts or technology departments hand their teachers and staff these new things, and expect them to know how to use them. With proper training, having an iPad in your classroom can be an invaluable tool. One example the article mentions dealt with a student who had behavior issues and couldn’t sit and reading during guided reading time. The teacher let him read a story on the iPad and he was able to accomplish 20 minutes of uninterrupted reading. I have used this strategy and my classroom and have seen it work first hand. Students are going to be more engaged if they are able to learn with new exciting tools. The article also talks about how you can utilize small group activities with the iPad. You just have to make sure that you set appropriate guidelines and rules. You can also use the iPad as a digital display in the classroom. I really liked how at the end of the article the author lists 10 great educational apps you can use in your classroom. I got the chance to preview three of these and have added them to my iPad for my students to use in the classroom. I plan on using all three of the strategies the author mentions in my classroom to boost academic engagement. This was a great article, I agree with it wholeheartedly. As educators we have to constantly be looking for new, different, and exciting ways to engage our students.

1 comment:

  1. Well done, Nathan. You summary is spot on. I like how you connected the article content to your classroom setting by downloading and evaluating several apps for your students. This is an excellent way utilize what you learned in the article and apply it to your own classroom. Great job!

    ReplyDelete